Monday, February 2, 2015

Beers To Try Before you Die or the Beer Bucket 52 List 5 of 52 400 Pound Monkey IPA



This past weekend was a blur. My wife and I had a bunch of things to do Saturday morning, I ran 3 miles for the first time in forever (to cold and wet for a bike ride so had to do something to keep the beer calories off) had Super Bowl Plans for Sunday which only would include my four quarters of Sam Adams Cream Stout.



But in an Impromptu pay per view order we decided to watch UFC 183 Silva vs Diaz



And with a good fight night come some beer drinking. My Sister in Law helped out by bringing over some

I have had Left hands Nitro Milk Stout and yes that will end up on this list

 But let's talk 400 Pound Monkey it is an English Style IPA, Now I am not a huge fan of IPA’s I like some and don’t like others, With Stouts, Porters and the seasonal Octoberfests type beers I am pretty consistent I enjoy most of them, But IPA some I can take others I can leave. 

With that explained I think I did like this one. The hoppy flavor that comes with IPA’s was there but not as sharp (thus I think well balanced?) as with some that I don’t enjoy. I also wanted to spread out my beer styles on this list (Later I will give a Short and Stout Top Ten, since these have been some of the best and every time I go shopping for a new beer find a ton of Stouts I want to try) and it takes a little arm twisting for me to go out and actually buy IPA’s so I am going with a few that she brings over during family get togethers and nights like UFC 183.
My Impression. Well, not a Skunky beer taste (meaning not a terrible beer) If you enjoy IPA’s (Like my sister in Law does) She said it was a good beer not tops but a middle of the road type IPA. 
For me my favorite has been Sam Adams Rebel IPA (Yeah I know I sound like they sponsor me or something, but no I just have not found many I like and the Rebel IPA is a West Coast style that I do enjoy)

 But this was good, good enough to say it should be one you should try before you die. Now I am going to give it a Single beer rating, 


Only because it has been my least favorite beer so far in this journey to 52, but again 1-6 is only in comparison to some solid and outright great beers (and that is only in my opinion, you know what opinions are like?) 

A one beer rating is still a great beer and worth your while and if you really like IPA’s this could rank higher on your own personal list. Well Until next time, Go out and enjoy some beers there are so many flavors and styles out there, don’t limit yourself to just one.

To view what all the ratings mean go to the 52 Beers to try Before You die Bucket list page

Disclaimer I am a beer drinker and a beginner home brewer the above is only my taste buds telling me what I enjoy, it is not the law or rule of the land, these would be the beers that I am grateful to have tried before the day comes when I pass on and meet my maker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment