Monday, July 14, 2014

Two Weeks Without My Bike Part 3


After two weeks without a bike and five actual ride days lost. I got the call that my bike is ready. Now due to work and a busy home schedule I still have to wait 24 hours to pick it up.

Here is how those 24 hours passed. Sync up the clock from 24 in your head…This happened between the hours of 6 pm Thursday and 6 pm Friday…..

First was work, in my never ending battle to pay bills and keep the fabulous lifestyle I have become accustom to I have to do this. Do not get me wrong, I do not have a bad job. It is a Monday through Friday job that is in the career field I went to school for and it comes with its ups and downs like every job, but I enjoy what I do. On the flip side I would rather be getting dirty in the woods on my bike. After picking up the little one and the Teenager. I have to then feed the baby, fold some laundry, clean up a few toys, and other out of place stuff. My wife Sarah comes home and entertains the baby, while I make dinner. We eat, sit down enjoy a few recordings from the DVR, which take more time now that we have a baby (the simple equation is if you want to watch Show A and have a Baby, and if Show A normally would take 45 minutes to watch than factoring in mood, time of day, and diner 45 minutes actually takes about double time) We then Bath the baby, take care of making lunches for the next day go to bed and wait for the early morning alarm to go off so I can torture myself at the gym for a solid hour. Come home, shower help the wife with the baby and I am off to work. Then start some of this process over again (as far as picking up the girls etc... Till the wife comes home) then Sound the Trumpet…Time to pick up the bike….

We got to Big Shark and I was about to pay as they found my bike. A problem had arisen on the tires. Seems the tires had been in Gary’s garage a bit too long and although it did not appear so when I dropped them off they did have dry rot on them. 

Hard to see it but kind of like this


The guy at the shop said they could be fine, but you never know. He had a decent pair of new tires



they were a bit more aggressive than the ones Gary gave me and now knowing the ones on the bike could blow at any given time I did not want to chance it. Since my wife is “the Money Saver” in the house and I am the “money spender” she was not too happy and wanted to know why they put them on without a call. The Manager explained they just do what the customer asks them to do and lets them know there could be (not that there will be) a problem. He made his suggestion and Sarah and I decided to take the new tires, going back to the customer service at Big Shark I talked about, (in part 1) they changed the tires in less than 5 minutes and he discounted the pair for me as well as not charging for the remounting. Made some suggestions about future used parts and we were on our way.

The new tires were in a word Awesome they gripped the ground great.
NEW Tires

OLD Tires

The new shifters again easier to use and out of the way.
NEW Shifters

OLD Shifters
So I was ready for a ride….Problem….It rained that night and the Mountain Trails were not in very good shape. But I had to get a ride in and try out the new stuff. So Sarah and I took the baby out for a quick ride on Grants trail. The bike handles so well just on the asphalt trail I could not wait to see what it would do on the dirt. We got a nice ride in to get me somewhat of a riding fix and just in time for the downpours to begin. I now have to wait a while to ride the trails the older daughter’s softball schedule will pick up this week and time will not be on my side. But I have the bike ready in the garage to tear up the trails as soon as the opportunity arises…..To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment