Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Friendship Brewing Company.... Part One, More than a Name


 Now on a daily basis I work on a show geared toward women. So we are talking stories about hairstyles, makeovers, clothes etc… But, other days my job has its perks. On other occasions I get to cover very cool stuff, like local businesses.

 In this case the local business was right up my alley.
 

Friendship Brewing Company owned by Brian Nolan.

His Buddy Dan is a cofounder with ownership and he has brewed with Brian for 27 years.
 

 Bobby or Doctor Love is a local brewer and a friend that Brian asked to help out at the brew house, but as Brian told me even though he has no ownership, he is offered a percentage because he is involved.







 
 The brewery is being built in Wentzville MO.Yes the Brewery is not actually built yet, but that is part of the charm in this story.
 
Some vintage beer cans dug up in the building
 
Brian who had a career in Architecture is doing it one step at a time by himself (with the help of family and friends of course) “When I got the building it was like walking into an episode of hoarders, the couple that owned it used it as storage space, and it took 60 days just to find the floor of my building” And at that point had already loaded a few of these dumpsters.

With that being said Brian let me take some pictures we chatted about local New England Breweries (where I am originally from) and also got to the subject of my blog to which he was very happy to help.
 
He told me how many people have helped him in the craft beer community which lends itself to the name Friendship. He told me, “I have been lucky enough to visit a lot of breweries all across the country, and make good friends with most of the local brewers. Because more existing brewers within the craft brewing community started small, as home brewers typically, they understand everyone starts in their garage or basement or back yard, and were very likely helped into the hobby and profession by people who started the same way. I have experienced 99 percent (there is always an A-hole in every group, just a lot fewer in the craft beer world) open arms from professional brewers everywhere I’ve gone, and especially locally, very willing to answer questions and graciously offer information and encouragement.”
 
 At the time of writing this I had still not even brewed my first batch. He invited me to come out and brew with them. He told me that is how this community works, there are not many other businesses that would give a helping hand like the Beer brewing community. He even told me once in New Hampshire a guy offered him the recipe for a (beer here) “who else does that?”

Brian’s Story started in his college years, “The corporate light lagers just weren’t cutting it, in Kansas people were drinking Keystone light, which is even worse than the InBev Swill. I remember leaving beer parties because the beer was so bad. So…we decided to try home brewing and 27 years later we are still at it.” Brian worked for an architecture firm in Clayton Missouri for a while, then went to work in the commercial real estate development realm when the market exploded with new construction in the suburbs. The phones stopped ringing in 2007 and 2008, he worked at City Gardens in Downtown St Louis for a couple of years as well as other small projects. “the let’s open a brewery idea had been in play for about five years and the last two years it became a quest.”

I asked him if it was scary starting this new career, he told me “Scary and exciting, less scary because of the dynamic I told you about” (this dynamic was support from fellow brewers in the area) “Support from existing brewers, it takes the edge off the fear…At least some of the time”, he laughs

The building that will be Friendship Brewing Company is in itself a story.  I may dedicate another post just to the 100 year old building.  He bought the building at a reasonable price and is renovating it as well as launching it with no borrowed money. “To not have any traditional overhead to pay on day one.” He also lives right near the brewery which he stated is a “convenience”

  Brian told me Wentzville, is his hometown and “As cheesy as it sounds I wanted to do something to serve my community and hopefully inject some ‘cool’ into the area. “ He is also looking at this from a business perspective, “Wentzville and the region is, pardon the pun, ‘thirsty’ for what we are doing.”

Brian has also traveled all over the country, and visited many local breweries. He loves the history. “In all my brewery travels across the country, the ones that have character and echo history spoke to me the most, the vibe.”

And as I will always do with the brewers who are in the community I asked him If he could give one piece of advice to someone like me who loves craft beer and wants to take that next step into brewing, what would it be?

My advice would be another bad pun, ‘tap’ into the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of beer enthusiasts, beer making clubs and even existing brewers. 99 percent of the people in this realm are not only willing to talk about beer and offer help, but love doing so.”

And Brian is true to his word as I stated earlier, he gave me an open invitation to come on up and brew with them. An offer I will take him up on and an offer that defines the name Friendship Brewing Company. Once we were done talking we had a few beers…and that will be a post for tomorrow……….To Be Continued!

 
 


You can visit Friendship Brewing Company's Facebook page and website http://friendshipbrewingcompany.com/ for more info and great beers!!!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment