Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How Mountain Biking is helping me get ready for my First Half Marathon


Do I enjoy running? Well if I look at it as my required exercise, due to the fact I love my beer, and I don’t exactly eat the healthiest food on a daily basis, yet want to maintain my 190 pound figure. Well, No I hate running. It becomes torture to meet an end.
Do I like running because I like the outdoors, and enjoy that half hour to an hour of peaceful yet painful reflection, away from the day to day rigors of life. Yes. And I always feel better when I do it. So I decided in my infinite wisdom I would attempt a half marathon.  


Why? I ask myself that question on the hot humid, long afternoon runs, as I look up a hill and call myself an asshole all the time, but in the end I say, Why not?
All has started well, running three to six miles a few times a week. Some days feel like that peaceful reflection and getting away, while other days feel like a chore (see hot humid hill climbs above). Especially as I try to extend the mileage, worrying about how long I am out there in the heat and away from the family time I have each day.

Obviously I love mountain Biking (otherwise this would be called my Beer blog or something like that, and I would not be writing about my 190 pound figure rather my 350 pound Jabba the Hutt beer drinking frame) and although I have taken both activities as separate things I now know one is helping the other. I know we are not all stupid, this is not some breakthrough I have discovered, ready to sell you a DVD set for three easy installments of 29.99, Plus Shipping and Handling. Obviously exercise is exercise. And cross training a bit helps to shock your body and break through plateaus.

 But I have noticed since using a heart monitor, on both my runs and bike rides, I can get my heart rate to its very upper limits with short stretches on the bike trails, without noticing until I stop. Why? Because I never look at the riding as exercise.  It is always about fun in the outdoors.


The thrill I have in the woods and on the path. The peaceful painless reflection not about the day’s bad times but the fun I have had on the trail at that moment.  So as my runs have become a bit easier (still depends on the day but I have noticed they are not as hard) I realize that even that one bike ride a week is helping me cross off that Half marathon on my bucket list in life.  And soon after concentrait more on the bike trails and beer drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment