Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Get fitted Is Important to Riding Comfortable


Hey at the moment I don't have a bike so here are some tips, before I go drink some beers. First Thing I would say is if your bike shop does this. Let them do it. Showing is always better. But If you are looking used on the Internet etc… here are some tips so you don’t waste your money.

Stand over the frame, with your feet flat on the ground, you should have an inch or two of clearance from that top bar to your boys. This was a problem when I was shopping originally for a used bike. The shop had a nice Trek but when I stood over it the bar got very intimate with my baby makers. For a woman’s bike the top bar is lower so this should not be an issue, both with the bar and baby makers. Here is a generic Mountain Bike sizing chart. If it is a specific bike you are looking at Google it there are charts for most companies out there.


 



Your seat, which can be adjusted so this is not a matter of right fit as much as how comfortable you can be on a bike. The seat should be high enough that when the pedal is at it’s lowest point your knee should have a slight bend in it. Not Straight out but bent slightly. Some people think when you stop you should be able to sit on the seat and have your feet on the ground. NO! It may be comfortable while chilling, but having the seat at the right height will give you the greatest advantage for speed, power, and not have you huffing and puffing because you are working too hard. I had a loose seat on a Mountain bike trail once and was wondering why the hell I was having such a rough go at it and then realized my seat had slid a few inches. Brought it back up tightened it and worked a lot less.  You also want the seat as Level as you can get it. If it is leaning forward you may slide forward and too far back, you may feel like you are slipping backward.

With your handle bars the goal is to not place strain on your shoulders or wrists and also your back is your friend don’t destroy it. Trust me I have a bad back and a sore back for the day sucks. Now your seat may actually be a bit higher than your handle bars. You want a low center off gravity when shredding the trails, because flying like superman may be fun for a moment, but when gravity kicks in, it hurts.  There is no wrong way here you have to find a spot that is best and most comfortable for you. Also do not raise the handle bars so high that you see the insertion mark, this could end up being a bad situation after the mark there is only about two inches of stem so it makes the stem weaker and could break while riding. Again not fun when ass, head or back meet the ground.

I am by no means an expert just learning as I go so as I said at the top go to your bike shop, any shop worth its while will have guys and gals who know what they are doing and usually love what they are doing. They will help you out. Now I got to go find a new Beer to taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment