Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Hidden Trail Discovered


While out riding a regular bike trail off of Marshall Road in Kirkwood which leads into Valley Park, with my wife Sarah and Juliette our little one.
Just a bit of exercise along the shaded trail. Then I discovered a Mountain Bike Trail I was just riding along and saw someone zip by in the woods. The mission was on to find the entrance. Now this is the area where it was at…..


Can’t tell till you are up close that there is even a trail back there. Sarah said she thought she saw an entrance and showed me where it was. Thus came an end to our bike ride. She told me “Go ahead, don’t kill yourself.” As she took the baby the rest of the way on the bike path, and said she would meet me on her way back.


 I came into the trail and instantly realized this is a great beginners trail, overall flat, with some up and downs to it that snakes in a small wooded area around to about one and a half miles.




 
 


Coming out of the woods in a couple of spots, which connect you to the next part of the trail. 
 You can move through it very fast and for the most part there are longer segments that you can also really see what is coming even on the first ride through I got going pretty fast.

As a side note this was the first time I got to test out my new tires. (See a Two Weeks Without a Bike Parts 1-3) In a word amazing, no more sliding off the trail when I sped through my turns and I could grip the trail as I climbed the hills.



Just before I exited a met a guy who rides it often and he told me “it is a fun little trail.” He also told me that they have races every Thursday Night in July, with A, B, and C groups. BINGO! I found a trail I could somewhat compete on and have a blast doing it with out, as the wife said “killing myself”



The difficulty on this trail was minimal.  As You can see from the pictures....

The only real hazards (if you do not know what you are doing at all) are some roots crossing the trail occasionally and because you can really get the bike moving the twists and turns can come up quick.



There is also a cut through that you can change up the ride a little. I did a test lap and got the heart rate going.
I felt bad that I kind of abandoned the wife and kid, but that is where I have the best wife in the world, she knows I get excited over little things and let’s the kid in me free. She finished her ride with the baby and met me back at the entrance to the trail and when I completed my fun ride, with my now dirty legs and my heart rate booming, we rode back to the car together.


No comments:

Post a Comment