Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Beer Outside the Box


Okay for the most part I do not go out and drink the Big Box beers, except when absolutely necessary at a sporting event or a beggars cannot be choosers type event when I want a beer, and there is only the watered down versions of what most claim to be beer. But I went to Circle 7 Ranch after my oldest daughters softball game for a bite to eat with the family. They did have a bunch of craft beers to choose from, most of which I have tried, (and others I will soon try, if not there then somewhere in the near future) but I was intrigued by something I had never seen before, two beers mixed as one drink.
 
The Black & Blue was a 16oz (although they did have a 22oz) glass of Guinness and Shock top. Maybe I am just that ignorant and this is something common, but it was the first time I saw it so BACK OFF!!

 

 I am a fan of Guinness and have drank Shock top before (a product of Ahneuser-Busch but at least a bit more taste than the normal beers they put out) So I figured what the hell let’s give it a try. It was actually pretty good. That heavy flavor of Guinness mixed with the citrus taste of shock top which came through as I drank it.  Now if I were to rate it against my 10 Sam Adams Octoberfest, I would have to give it about a 5 (keep in mind normally 3 and below are almost undrinkable, I say almost because I am not wasting a beer, I will suffer for my "craft")
So beer to beer or head to head against the Octoberfest I had to give it a 5 on my 10 scale. Simply because there are so many other great beers out there. But as something I have never tried before thus nothing to compare it to, I would give it a solid 7, pulling it away from that undrinkable area,  and giving it an average rateing of 6. It was good and I was a bit "shocked", no shock top pun intended, that the Guinness was floating on top.
 
 Would I drink it again? Hell I wish I had this as a choice during sports events and places where you can only get Big Box beers. So Yes I would, but I need to knock a few (as in hundred) other beers off the old list first. In closing I know this is not my average Craft beer rating, but hey outside the box is what we are all about so till next time Cheers!!! I'm gonna get myself some more Beers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment