Thursday, July 3, 2014

My First Ride


Growing up I was a BMX rider and freestyler. I was never really awesome at either but I loved speeding around the city of Fall River, Massachusetts on my bike. Twisting, jumping everything and anything and racing around from sun up to sundown around the city. The wind in my face the rush of weaving in and out of traffic (I am not suggesting this to the kids out there, this is what I did, not necessarily what anyone else should do and not really the smartest thing either, I was not a bright kid, but I was adventurous) My friends and myself would set up ramps and jump over anything we could find for a challenge, and try not to kill ourselves along the bruised and bloody kneed time I called my childhood. (excerpt from A Little background in Biking or Where it all started for me If you have not read it)

Fast forward over twenty years later as I hit my fortieth birthday. The days of riding my bike long past. I had what some could call an epiphany others might call it a mid-life crisis, while me I will call it a chance to recapture that excitement I had as a ten year old kid, while spending some more time in the great outdoors. Now I do like hunting, fishing and spend time outside running (more to stay in some type of shape than the actual enjoyment of torturing myself for miles at a time. Although there is a certain peace I do get forgetting the day while running…Anyway….) I sat down with my wife and said, “I think we should buy bikes.” Now the main part of this was to spend more time together as a family. Outside, not in front of the television, away from electronics and getting a bit of exercise at the same time. The other part of this was that ten year old inside of me, who wanted that thrill of speeding around on a bike. So after a little shopping around (Buying A Good Bike Or what I did) I found my bike. A Raleigh Talus 3.0 it was an adjustment from not only not riding a bike for well over 15 years, but having speeds to shift through and a different setup overall than a BMX. I spent the adjustment time with my wife and Baby daughter Juliette (tagging along on the back of my wife’s bike in an all-weather baby trailer) on some local trails here in St Louis. It was so much fun, getting out there with her, once again feeling that wind in my face. The first few times were a bit cold since I was anxious to get out and ride but I still remember that first 60 degree day. It felt so good.

After finally getting a weekend free, Gary a friend and coworker who has been riding for a while and helped me in the shopping process brought me out to a basic trail in Creve Coeur Park


 

The trail itself was nothing extreme, not many rocks and nothing too technical.



 
Just a basic beginner’s level bike trail of twists and turns through the woods with the trees at most points blocking out the warm sun.

It also had the added bonus of GoApe an adventure of zip lining and tree climbing happening over us as we trekked through the single-track trail.

This ride began by entering the trail off the parking lot.

 

As I really had not completely learned to use my shifters I looked down for a moment, to make sure I was in a pretty neutral position gear wise (I could go up or down, kind of in the middle) As the groove or rut was a sort of entrance to the trail and I was in it .

 I drifted up the dirt rut with my front tire and almost bit it. Not a great start considering I really was not even on the trail yet. Even worse start considering there was a couple coming out of the woods who witnessed my clumsiness. I gathered myself after my “Oh Shit!” moment, all I could hear in my head was Adam Sandler's version of "They're all Gonna Laugh at you!" and continued into the woods, hopeful I was not going to die as I hit the real trail.

Once there and under control, I followed Gary. The ride began with a somewhat level climb, like the start of a roller coaster, the anticipation grew waiting for what was around the next turn. 

 As I hit the first downhill slope, I felt the cool shaded air from the woods enveloped me. Gary called out ahead of me what was coming. “Uphill change gears!” or “Roots coming up!” I would adjust the best I could.

 It was a thrill, but I worked at it, not exactly knowing what was coming other than looking ahead and hearing his warnings. This I think can be a blog entry for another day, (The first time on an unfamiliar trail)

Another issue I had was my Hybrid tires that came with my bike.

They grabbed a bit but the middle of the tire was made more for an ordinary bike path with a little off road type riding. As I took turns my bike would slide a bit more than I was comfortable with. I never wiped out but I was damn close a few times. Over the course of the ride I adjusted to what worked with those tires. Another issue was the twist shifters on my handlebars, again this is what came with a $400 dollar bike.

If I jumped anything when I came down sometimes I would accidently shift in usually an inopportune time. This was the only real down side, (other than the day before running 5 miles and my legs burning, and thinking to myself, “You knew you were going on this ride why the hell would you go for a run the day before?”) I pulled and pushed myself through the weaknesses of my bike, and my aching leg muscles.  Every second was well worth it!

As I weaved around trees, hopped over roots, and raced up and down the hills. I was exhausted sweating like crazy and yet it was a rush I had not felt in years. As I progressed on the trail something clicked, I was not as cautious, I let go and just went with it. My shoulders loosened and the bike moved with the trail, a skid here and a bump there but otherwise what was a ride that was all over the place became smooth as mountain biking can be.  I also started to notice things like the zip liners and a deer crossing the path and going down the hill.

 As well as how beautiful the park was from the inside, a place I had not been till right at that moment. I was ten years old again, at least in my mind. My 40 year old body did ache with every hill, and every turn to avoid skipping off a tree trunk and rolling down a hill off the path. But in my mind it was a freedom I had not felt in a while.

 The air on my face, the degree of satisfaction I felt of overcoming the clumsiness I felt at the start of the trek, and the pure adrenaline rush someone can only know after doing it. A little over five miles and an hour later we returned to the parking lot where it all started. Sweat poured from my forehead, my shirt was drenched and my heart was pumping in the best way possible. I had finished my first ride, I was now addicted to the rush, and could not wait for the next ride.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment