Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Cost of the Gear doesn't Matter as much as the Love of the Experience


As I sit and read my monthly magazines, I came across an article in Issue 178 of Dirt Rag Magazine.



The article was Mountain Men by Jamie Goldmen. If you do not subscribe or don't read it, Go get it, great magazine...

And although the article itself was a great adventure in Idaho’s Smokey Mountains, the line that struck me was
“If you can learn to love the suffering, you can conquer anything.”

I have said mountain biking is at times hard work, at times strenuous, and at times bloody. But with anything in life, if you love what you are doing, it is never work.  I have also touched on the subject of cost before. I wonder how in the hell a bike can be worth 5 to 10 grand? Now keep in mind I have never ridden a bike worth more than my first two cars combined cost. Maybe there is something to them. I mean they look awesome. They all have great components on them, which I know raises the cost on the bike. Maybe it is because I can’t afford a bike that nice. Hey I could be jealous, I am not a hypocrite if Giant, or any other company said here is why this cost so much and handed me a bike for a few days or for good to rip up some trails, I would, without a doubt, use the bike and try to discover why my bike is a $500 dollar bike and that one is worth ten times the amount. But I just can’t wrap my mind around a bike that cost that much. More so around some riders who have to have the expensive bikes. I suppose it is just like someone who wants an expensive car, Boat or hunting rifle and I am sure you get what you pay for, I am not trying to trash any bikes here. I ride what I can afford and if you can afford the top of the line, God bless you. But here is my question today as I write. Can they make the rush of the trail any more exciting?  

I am sure, there is a comfort level to the bikes that make work on the trail a little easier on your body. But a good time, hell a great time can’t be bought. I hit the trails with my bike and the world melts away. Well it melts away until I eat it on a turn or a hill, then I get back on the bike and go back to my own world. I have said it before I love looking through the magazines and seeing toys I may want to own but never will. But more important I love the stories about men and ladies enjoying the trails all over the world. (and  Mountain Men by Jamie Goldmen is a great story beyond the quote.) Yes most of these riders probably have bikes worth more than mine, for their own reasons and comfort levels, preferring a 29er over 26 or 27.5. Liking the full suspension over a hard tail. Or liking their 10,000 dollar bike over a 500 dollar bike. But while reading their articles (unless they specifically bring it up or it is a test ride comparing two bikes) the bike never matters, it is the journey. I love the similar stories on how someone overcame a hill or trail, and the unfamiliar ones about places I have never been (which let’s be honest right now are most of them) the beautiful photography from around the globe, where in some cases show how small the bike really is in that particular environment. I think my main point in the rambling on about cost and experience goes to the old saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder or in this case experiences are in the eyes of the rider.

Small or big. Cheap or expensive, adventures are out there for everyone, no matter the cost of the bike you are on. It is about a good time and memories you will have forever. And it goes back to the quote Goldmen used was “If you can learn to love the suffering, you can conquer anything.” My suffering may be to always own a less expensive bike, and I am alright with that (now any company wanting to convince me how great their 5-10 thousand dollar bike is I am open to it) but either way I enjoy the hell out of my time on my bike!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment