Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tasting Our Way Around The Nation! Dead Guy Ale and Mocha Porter from Rouge Ales and Spirits!



We can’t always ride the trails, I know this fact sucks but real life does get in the way. We can not always brew beers, again time and space come into the equation. So in an all-out effort to broaden my horizons (and not be a hypocrite) I will try craft beers from around the country. One. Trying to fill up my United States of Beer page, one beer and state at a time. And two. come on who does not like drinking a cold six pack with some friends.

Although I am learning about terms like complex, aggressive and estery. I know the normal person just wants to know is it good or bad.  So, Although I will include actual descriptions of beers (usually direct from their site or the side of the bottle) I am just going to try to compare beers to what you may know (not that Big Box crap, unless it is warranted) and have the people I try it with use a 1-10 scale 10 being their absolute favorite beer, the beer that nine out of ten times they would pay for and consume. As I start this journey my 10 will be SamAdams Octoberfest This could change along the way I may just find a new standard, but for now this is my standard and although it may not compare with a lighter or heavier beer this is an easy 1-10 scale I think most can understand…..
These impromptu get-togethers will come out of cookouts, family gatherings, maybe a UFC pay per view event at the humble abode or just boredom. Nothing formal about it, It could just be the wife and I at a brewery on the way to another destination.

In this case the family was getting together for a Sunday dinner. The in-laws, the kids and my wife all together to talk amongst ourselves over some grilled chicken, and in the case of this post’s participants a couple of tasty cold ones. On the way I stopped by Friar Tucks, this place is kind of like the record store or comic shop of Beers. Sometimes you go in knowing exactly what you want other times you look around and discover something you have never heard of. This time it was such a quest. We found a few that will probably be future posts but decided on two six packs from Rouge Ales andSpirits 

With over 40 Beers to choose from including World Class Ales, Stouts, Lagers and Porters (just to name some) Including some very different types like their Voodoo Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Ale Does not seem like my cup of tea or in this case glass of Beer, but that is what Rouge is all about as explained in their Declaration ofIndependence (if you want to become part of the Rouge Nation go to the link)

It in part reads "Rogue Nation — a global alliance without borders, its citizenry possessing an unswerving responsible allegiance to the Rogue within, unfettered by limitations imposed by others, commonly-accepted bullshit, or rules totally lacking in reason."

They have won numerous awards and also sell spirits like Dead Guy Whiskey

So with so many great beverages to choose from we picked two for our Tasting around the Nation test. Dead Guy Ale and Mocha Porter

First up the Mocha Porter
From their site it is described as, "Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish." and food pairing, Beef,Dessert

The participants in this tasting would be my wife Sarah, My sister in Law Katie and myself.

My wife opened a Mocha Porter first "this is really good" was the first response. She liked the hint of coffee/chocolate flavor without it being too overwhelming. Describing it as a watered down version of Dirty Bastard, which would be her standard 10 (this is not a slight on the Mocha Porter as she did enjoy it, and by watered down she meant a bit lighter) Having Dirty Bastard as her standard she gave it a 7.5 out of 10 Not too bad!
Katie tasted the Mocha Porter and described it as a light Port, she usually does not like beers with coffee as a flavor, saying they are usually too overpowering. In this Rouge brew she said that was not the case and said it had a nice tasting finish to it, you could tell there was a coffee or chocolate flavor to it but it was not too overpowering. Her Standard is Arrogant Bastard using that as her 10 she gave the Mocha Porter a 6


I tried the Rogue Mocha Porter after dinner. As to me it seemed like it would be a desert beer. It was nice, like having a beer that should be a heavy style but great for a warm summer day (although Spring in St Louis it was hot like a normal person's summer) Now comparing it to one of my favorite coffee type beers Samuel Adams Cream Stout to me it was a very small step back from that if Cream Stout was my 10 this was a good 8 to 8.5 a very good Port beer, glad I found it. And maybe it is that extra sweetness to the Sam Product or Stout as opposed to the Porter but they are both very good.  As Sam Adams Octoberfest is actually my standard 10, I have to give it a 6.5 (and this is only because the Rouge beers are the very first taste tests I want a place to go, so at some point I may revisit this and reevaluate, not fair but someone had to be the first sorry Rouge, we will get you back down the road, as there are many more I would love to try)
So as an Average our little get together gives this a scary 6.66 I am going to give it a bump to 7 just to get away from the AntiChrist of reviews... thus giving it a 6.83

The other brew from Rogue was Dead Guy Ale.



From their site “Deep reddish amber hue. Generous toasty malt aromas and earthy hops follow through on a moderately full-bodied palate with fruity accents and a long spicy hop finish. A delicious hybrid style with bock-like maltiness but ale-like hopping.” and food pairing would be Spicy,Pork



Katie who is a huge fan of IPA's said it had a similar taste to Schlafly Dry Hopped APA a favorite of hers, said it was a very good summer ale, great for anyone who enjoys Micro brews. She gave this one an 8
For me Dead Guy was bought initially because I though t the label and name caught my eye, was cool and I enjoy ales, also it fulfilled a state we had not tried anything from Oregon.

Sarah Grabbed another Mocha Porter in this occasion (I guess she really liked it) and since has tried the Dead Guy Ale but I will save her review for a time we revisit to give Rouge another chance since they had to be the first.

After all of that, the important thing was the beer itself. And it did not disappoint. Again for a hot day I tend to like a lighter beer (by light I do not mean something like a Bud light that is way too light and should only be used to water something, or after a long run so you can rehydrate. I mean light in the sense of it is not a heavy fill you up type dessert beer) This one hit the mark, it was not so heavy I couldn't enjoy a few and it was not so light it had no tatse. In fact it had a very good taste to it. I myself am not always a big fan of IPA's like my sister in law some I like some are too Hoppy tasting. this did remind me of the IPA's I have enjoyed, with a bit less hop tatste to it. A good tasty summer beer in my eyes. Great For a cookout it says it is great with pork or spicey. I think it would be just fine with a burger. I give this one a 7.5

For an average of 7.75

 It was really a great tasting beer and I will love trying some of their other variteies in the future.
 Now since this was a first taste test I only went with our go to beers in the future we will also compare them a bit more with a similar beer when it comes to the rating.
 

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment