Thursday, June 11, 2015

The "Almost" Daily Beer and Bike Log June 11 2015

Well do not know if it is because I over boiled and had a bit less than a full gallon fermenting in a 2 gallon bucket, 

or if I just Screwed it up but not much activity in the airlock, which has been typical of the small batches. 

I will find out in a day or two as I transfer to secondary, I may add some Yeast energizer to get it going. Also the prospect of making another small batch this time a Scotch ale .
                                              
I found some recipes on Brew Toad and went over to our local brew shop To gather the ingredients and to make it my own.

After looking over some of the ingredients and the fact I wanted an All Grain batch not a partial (or an extract batch) The lady helped me adjust to something that was not only a little less expensive but looks like it will come out great in the end product.

First I changed The Hops they had. Instead of using two different hops (and with a single batch having to buy at least an ounce of each anyway) I saved a few bucks and will just split an ounce of Fuggle Hops throughout the boil. Also Since I already have Wood chips, I am not going to purchase Wood Cubes.

Anyway Here is the Grain Bill for My Mocha Scotch Ale (kind of an Infusion of a Stout and Scotch Ale)

2 Lbs of Maris Otter as My Base
1.6 oz of Chocolate Malt
1.6 oz Roasted Barley
1.6 Peated Malt
1.6 Crystal 60

1 oz Fuggle Hops (split .5 @60 min and .5 @10 min)

3.2 oz of Brown Sugar 60 min
Tsp of Irish Moss @ 10 min
a third of a Whirlfloc tab @10 min

I am going to add the Wood Chips to the Secondary for 14 days (during primary about 3-4 days, I will soak the wood chips in Scotch)

I will start with 2.5 Quarts for the Mash
And 5 Quarts for the Sparge, hopefully collecting about a gallon and a half (or 6 Quarts to boil.) 

I lost too much on my Cherry Wheat Ale coming in under a gallon so this time I am hopeful the amounts work out to about a gallon after the boil....I will try and make this tonight or tomorrow so we will see what happens.







No comments:

Post a Comment