Monday, June 1, 2015

Tales from the One Gallon Brew Taking the Everyday IPA and making it Bitter Sweet

With no initial plans for brewing this past weekend, my daughters softball tournament go moved to Sunday due to rain, I had the ingredients for a one gallon batch and my sister in law wanted to learn a little more about doing a small batch..So we Brewed...


The base for this recipe was something I was going to give a try, the online company Brooklyn Brew shop has mixes for about 15 bucks so I figured why not give it a try as I am am still trying to perfect the actual cooking side before I move into my own recopies. But with the Everyday IPA as a base I also wanted to make it my own, so I pulled out some Grapefruit peel, some Tangerine peel and some bitter orange peel. To make my Bitter Sweet Everyday IPA


Also without an extra pot to sparge I went with the Boil in a bag method. Although next time I am going to do the sparge and see what works out better on the stove top....

We got the water up to Temperature and then Poured in our grains... 




And of course when we brew we also try some new beer...In this case it was beer ready from one of our last brews A Rum Dark Chocolate Imperial IPA, a Oak Bourbon Soaked Imperial IPA and my First try at a single gallon Batch of American IPA

I will talk about them in a separate post I was a little disappointed with some aspects of each but looked forward to correcting those mistakes in the future.



Anyway we went through the process Drained the bag the best we could, went through the Boil schedule, with the exception of Adding half an ounce of each peel into the boil at 20 minutes (saving the other half for secondary (although I think the Bitter orange will remain out of secondary so I can try and balance the Grapefruit and Tangerine a little better...

We cooled the brew down to 70 and got it into primary fermentation 
I am curious to see how this batch comes out, I am also going to dry hop it in secondary to get a little more hop flavor into it. But as far as Brooklyn brew mixes go it was an easy fun way to do an all grain small batch, especially when you did not plan on it but had the mix on hand. Plus I was still able to get a little creative (granted it was nothing over the top, but still made it my own) I will update you all when this batch is ready. I am also curious to see how clear it comes out since I usually use Irish Moss but in the process forgot this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment