Monday, June 15, 2015

Tales from the One Gallon Brew...Mocha Scotch Ale

Well over the weekend I squeezed in a brew day. I was able to make an original recipe Mocha Scotch Ale. The Brewing process is getting a bit easier but as usual there is always a slip up (I will get to that shortly) 



Got started with some Maris Otter (I think I really like the taste of this Grain and plan on using it a bit more as a base in the future)

Some Acidulated Specialty Malt


Some Crystal 60, Chocolate Malt and some Roasted Barley


I got going and everything was fine, the water was getting up to temperature then I realized I had no gallon Ziplock bags to crush my grains (Reason 1 for getting a mill when I can afford it) I found a paper bag and started crushing with a can of peaches, while trying to keep the bag from tearing and my grains going everywhere.

 The Water went over my temperature and I had to cool it down I added a half a quart of cool water (which in the end I think helped to reach my 1 gallon batch. 
Got the temp back down to 160 and finally Mashed in.



As Usual I grabbed a Beer and waited as I stirred...Since I was brewing a Scotch Ale I grabbed a Beer right out of Scotland. Belhaven 90/  

From the Belhaven Brewery in Scotland 

Anyway a Very tasty Beer that will make "The List" but that is later....

After the Mash I was able to get the grains into a Strainer and Sparge (getting better at this, but burned my arm lifting the pot high enough..Reason 1 for a ball valve...


I gathered my Gallon and a half or six quarts, and started the boil....
Once I got the boil rolling, I added a half an ounce of Fuggle Hops (saving the rest for the 10 min mark) 

And 3.5 ounces of Brown sugar


So here is where the Oh Shit moment came in.  I used a Wyeast Scottish Ale Smack pack.

 I thought I had broken the plastic activator bag inside and when it was time to pitch the yeast I cut open the bag and went "Oh Shit" as I noticed I did not crack open the inner activator bag. I sterilized my hands tried as I could to break it open but nothing, so I dropped my scissors into some Star San cut it open and dumped the bag into the beer. Now this may be a variable that fucks this beer up, but I am hopeful it will come out fine. It was bubbling which is more than I can say for my last brew. I also put the fermenter into a closet on our main floor this time hoping the warmer darker area would help the process..Well we shall see in a few days.........




No comments:

Post a Comment