Monday, June 27, 2016

Tales From The One Gallon Brew...The Final Edition....Brew Dog Punk IPA

As I started on this journey to learn how to brew, I  tried to perfect..well at least sharpen my skills by brewing on my stove top.

 It was fun had a few brews that taught me a couple of things, but all the work amounted to about 8 beers......8 fucking beers!!! 

Do I regret the stove top brewing? No, but the expense and time to do it for minimum output as they started to taste better was not worth it.

 So we have stepped up our beer brewing game to at the very least 5 gallon batches and as we perfect those we will jump again. But I had a single gallon batch left over from all those stove top recipes (this one being an all in one from the Brooklyn Brew Shop.

If you are looking to learn how to brew and want to take some of the work of coming up with recipes, brewing huge batches that sometimes don't come out so well (as I have had) and want to refine your All Grain skills they are a great place to start. About 15 bucks for a beer in a box like this one....


Or if you need the initial products like a fermentor, airlock etc...You will still need a pot You can purchase a kit for 40 bucks...


Although shipping comes out to about 15 which makes sense to purchase 3 recipes or a beer making kit plus an additional recipe and get free shipping on all orders $45 and over

Anyway as we prepare to brew our first batch on our new system I had some time on a Saturday night and decided to finish off the final One gallon brew. 

Trying to keep our kitchen cool I decided to go for it with our burner outside and use a bag and Cooler as a Mash Tun.

Although this almost screwed things up. We have a car port so if we had to we could have taken cover to brew.



We heated up the water I used some extra 2 row I had aside and needed to clear out also, hoping to get a bit more than a gallon.

We had some hang ups on this as we needed to raise the Temp to 170 on the mash out, so we collected the wort and started to raise the temp. We used a strainer and collected the amount of 170 degree water to start on the boil.


Grabbed a few beers (an old Standby Sam Adams Double IPA and a nice Hoppy Brown Ale that Katie my sister in law brought back from Public house Brewing)



As the boil pressed on we added the hops....




Finishing off the boil at the 0 minute mark adding the remaining hops and cooling the beer to get it into primary.


I had purchased a yeast starter and did it that morning (since this was a last minute decision to brew.)

 And as you can see the bubble from the Star San still in there...they say don't fear the bubbles..well I hope not. I will give you all an update weather this came out good or not. We hit most of the temperatures but missed a little bit initially (a bit too hot) and this box was sitting in the basement storage for a good year so , might be good might not be...We will see. But this is the end of the One gallon brewer journey. Time to move on to Five gallons at a time.


s always this disclaimer I am no expert only a guy who likes to brew and drink beer, these are my opinions and we all know what opinions are like...Yes Assholes...So this is just one assholes opinions, and the way I am learning to brew, my personal journal for the 2 or 3 of you to see. When and if I find the perfect way to brew and can pass that info along I will..But my best advice learn from who you can, your own mistakes, and you are brewing beer...have fun for crying out loud. Cheers and Beers





No comments:

Post a Comment